DTS2070 - Music theatre
6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate Faculty of Arts
Clayton First semester 2009 (Day)
This unit deals with the history and analysis of 'the Musical'. It will provide a theoretical framework for the study of Music Theatre, which defines the formal characteristics of 'the Musical' in its Broadway and other manifestations, and explores the implications of particular choices in structure and score.
Students taking DTS2070/3070 will develop:
- An understanding of the conventions and traditions of twentieth-century musical theatre.
- A knowledge of the major developments in the field, and of patterns of similarity between the works in which they are expressed.
- A familiarity with the distinctive methodological issues involved in the study of the form, and of the languages appropriate to their articulation and analysis.
- Skills in the performance and technical areas related to the genre.
- The capacity to articulate critical analyses in systematic written argument, and in clear and confident oral presentations.
Essay (2500 words): 50%
Review essay (1000 words): 20%
Seminar presentation and contribution (equivalent 1250 words): 30%
3 hours (1 x 3 hour lecture/workshop) per week