DPH6002 - Statistical methods for public health
6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
Leader(s): A/Prof Rory Wolfe
Clayton First semester 2009 (Day)
Alfred Hospital First semester 2009 (Day)
Confounding and effect modification, logistic regression, conditional logistic regression for matched case-control studies, linear regression, diagnostics to assess model fit, model estimation methods, Poisson regression for reates, Stata statistical software.
On completion of this subject, students will be able to:
- describe the statistical principles of sample selection and a range of multi-variable methods of statistical analyses typically encountered in public health research;
- proficiently plan and perform statistical analyses using a software package;
- recognise the statistical issues in the design and analysis of a public health research project and propose a strategy for their implementation;
- critically appraise the statistical methodology in public health research articles; and
- coherently explain the statistical concepts and results in written and oral formats.
Mid semester assignment 33%
end of semester assignment 67%
2 contact hours per week