DPH6001 - Advanced epidemiology
6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
Leader(s): Professor M Abramson
Advanced understanding of epidemiology methods used to study chronic diseases. Overview of descriptive and analytical epidemiology of diseases of major public health importance in Australia. Particular methodological issues include assessing causality, bias, confounding, effect modification, exposure assessment, outcome assessment, prevention paradigms and whether epidemiology has reached its limits.
On completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Understand and discuss the principles underlying the epidemiological study of diseases;
- Appreciate and identify the methodological difficulties inherent in observational epidemiological studies of diseases;
- Be able to apply general epidemiological principles to specific diseases;
- Understand and use descriptive epidemiological measures to summarize the population impact of specific diseases; and
- Appreciate new methodological developments in epidemiology.
Student presentations 25%
2 contact hours per week