DFM3010 - Cardiovascular health
4 points, SCA Band 3, 0.0833333 EFTSL
Postgraduate Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
Leader(s): Dr S Wijesinha
This unit focuses on the modern assessment and management of cardiovascular problems encountered by the general practitioner. The following areas are dealt with in detail: Hypertension; Chest Pain; Arrhythmias; Palpitations and syncope; Heart Failure.
On completing this unit, students will:
- Appreciate the major issues in cardiovascular health today;
- Understand how to assess and advise patients having chest pain, syncope, hypertension, arrhythmias and heart failure;
- Be aware of the currently available investigations for diagnosis and management of cardiovascular disease;
- Be familiar with modern methods of interventional cardiology; and
- Develop skills in conducting a clinical audit - either in screening for risk factors or in the management of cardiac failure - and gain an understanding of the potential of audits to improve clinical practice.
Clinical Audit (50%)
2 Essays (25% each)