CMA1003 - Acupuncture techniques and therapeutics
6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
Leader(s): Dr D Traum
Acupuncture techniques and methods of stimulation allows the previously learnt channels and points, and philosophy of Acupuncture to be utilised in the clinical situation. Demonstrations of materials used, and of various techniques of stimulation will be provided at the residential weekend, and by the mentors.
Acupuncture therapeutics provides the framework from which all therapeutics can be easily organised according to a simple protocol. This subject ties together all of the previous material in the course, to allow the student to begin using acupuncture in their medical practice on suitable cases.
At the completion of this section students should be able to:
- Describe the various methods of stimulating acupuncture points;
- Understand the use of the various modalities;
- Choose the most appropriate methods of stimulation in a particular patient or disease state;
- Describe the rationale for the choice of points for any condition deemed satisfactory for acupuncture theory;
- Understand the relationship between knowledge of western medicine and acupuncture in your daily practice;
- Integrate these two methods of care so that the most appropriate treatment is given to the patient at all times; and
- Recognises the difficulty of assessing acupuncture therapy in trials using western methodology and interpreting reports that appear in the literature.