CHI4050 - Chinese 5
6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate Faculty of Arts
Leader(s): Lijun Bi
Clayton First semester 2009 (Day)
This unit will introduce students to advanced intermediate spoken and written standard Chinese. In addition to regular classroom activities, listening and speaking skills will be further developed through project work with a focus on Chinese culturE.
This unit is available to students who have a Chinese language ability equivalent to Chinese 4; Upon successful completion of this subject students will develop:
- An understanding of some current issues in China and the ability to express personal views on such issues in Chinese.
- The ability to discuss topics related to their own fields of interest in Chinese.
- Knowledge of a grammatical framework and vocabulary that enables them to write in a relatively sophisticated manner.
- The ability to write different kinds of prose and poetry in Chinese.
- The ability to present their project work in Chinese in a small group.
Tests and class assessments: 50%
Oral exam: 15%
4 hours (2 x 1 hour lectures and 2 x 1 hour tutorials) per week
CHI3040 or equivalent/permission