BTC2720 - Workplace law
6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate Faculty of Business and Economics
Leader(s): Dr Anthony Forsyth
Clayton Second semester 2009 (Day)
The unit introduces students to contemporary developments in labour law, employment law, discrimination law and occupational health and safety law. It aims to develop knowledge and skills and understanding of the practical application of these areas of the law in Australian workplaces.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- describe and analyse a wide range of legal issues affecting the workplace (outlined below)
- apply legal principles to a range of hypothetical scenarios, in order to demonstrate practical understanding of legal issues at the workplace (building on strategic problem solving skills from business law)
- evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of the principles underpinning workplace law
- critically assess the law's role and impact on the employment relationship
- critically evaluate current issues in the media involving legal regulation of the workplace.
Within semester assessment: 40%
Examination (3 hours, open-book): 60%
3 hours per week