BND5022 - Honours research project 2
21 points, SCA Band 2, 0.4375 EFTSL
Undergraduate Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
Leader(s): Associate Professor Boyd Strauss
Each student will undertake a research project under the supervision of an approved member of the academic or research staff of Monash University. The choice of project and supervisor will be the responsibility of the student, in consultation with an academic advisor from the Nutrition and Dietetic unit. The research project will constitute the major portion of the students' work and will be conducted over a full year. This unit will include the components of results, discussion and development of manuscript. Students will present their research results in a seminar format.
On completion of the unit, students will:
- be able to execute and analyse a research project, or set of studies;
- be proficient in computer based data manipulation, analysis, presentation and word processing;
- be able to write up scientific work in a report suitable for publication;
- demonstrate communication skills in both oral and written presentation to specialist scientific audience;
- have refined or acquired a range of technical skills appropriate for their project; and
- have gained insight into the research process in an area relating to the health sciences.
A seminar presentation of the research results: 10% of final assessment of honours year
A written thesis of not more than 20000 words supplemented by an oral thesis review: 70% of final assessment of honours year.
Research project related work: 42 hours per week