BND5021 - Honours research project 1
21 points, SCA Band 2, 0.4375 EFTSL
Undergraduate Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
Leader(s): Associate Professor Boyd Strauss
Each student will undertake a research project under the supervision of an approved member of the academic or research staff of Monash University. The choice of project and supervisor will be the responsibility of the student, in consultation with an academic advisor for the Nutrition and Dietetics unit. The research project will constitute the major portion of the students' work and will be conducted over a full year. For the purpose of unitisation, this unit will include the components of literature review and description of methods. Students will present their research proposal in a seminar format.
On completion of the unit, students will:
- be able to critically review the scientific literature in their discipline;
- understand the processes involved in the design, development and implementation of a research project;
- be able to develop a proposal for a research project into practical data collection;
- be able to execute and analyse a research project, or set of studies;
- be able to write up scientific work in a report suitable to submit for publication; and
- demonstrate communication skills in both oral and written presentation to a specialist scientific audience.
An oral presentation of research proposal
A written project proposal of approximately 2000 words outlining the research project and how and why it should be done
Submission of the project aims, literature review and methods which will form appendices in the thesis for the honours year.
Research project related work: 42 hours per week