BND5011 - Research skills for Dieticians
3 points, SCA Band 2, 0.0625 EFTSL
Undergraduate Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
Leader(s): Associate Professor Boyd Strauss
A weekly course over 12 weeks on research skills including study design, use of relevant software such as databases, spreadsheets, statistical analysis software, how to search and summarise the scientific literature, best practice in data presentation, quantitative statistical analysis, appropriate time management and how to structure a discussion of results. Construction of a manuscript for submission to a scientific journal will be covered.
On completion of the unit, students will:
- know how to systematically search and critically review the scientific literature in their discipline;
- understand the process involved in the design, development and implementation of a research project;
- understand the issues in applying for ethics committee approval of projects;
- be proficient in computer based data manipulation, analysis, presentation and word processing; and
- be able to appropriately structure a manuscript reporting on scientific work.
100% Assignment requiring handling, analysis, interpretation and presentation of research data.
Lecture/tutorials: 2 hours per week; assignments and self-directed learning: 4 hours per week