BND4042 - Program planning
18 points, SCA Band 2, 0.375 EFTSL
Undergraduate Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
Leader(s): Ms Claire Palermo
Clayton Second semester 2009 (Day)
This fieldwork will challenge the student to integrate their academic training and to synthesise knowledge into a practical community or public health nutrition project. The unit requires students to participate in the program planning cycle towards addressing a public health or community nutrition issue for the workplace setting. Students will gain confidence by participating in a work environment and provide tangible benefit to their participating setting. Students will gain entry level knowledge in all areas of nutrition and dietetic practice. Principles of information evaluation, workload management, communication, teamwork and responsibility for project management will be developed.
By the end of this unit students will be able to:
- utilise nutrition and health related data and scientific literature in identifying nutrition problems in the community;
- illustrate the integration of public health and health promotion theory and epidemiology into practice in community or public health nutrition settings;
- employ the program planning cycle and determine goals, objectives and plans for dealing with nutrition issues in the community;
- adopt effective project management, team work and communication skills and work effectively within the placement organisation;
- collect and evaluate the literature related to a community or public health nutrition issues and apply research and evaluation findings to practice;
- organise, establish and document data, process and communication on a community or public health nutrition issue into written reports and oral presentations; and
- adopt a questioning and critical approach in all aspects of practice and evaluate practice on an ongoing basis.
Project proposal: 20%
Project report: 50%
Poster presentation: 10%
8 weeks full-time (5 days per week) plus 20 hours self directed study.
BND3082 or equivalent