AFC3120 - Advanced financial accounting
6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate Faculty of Business and Economics
Topics include accounting standard-setting arrangements; the conceptual framework for financial reporting; the form and content of financial statements; income tax allocation; intangibles; off-balance sheet financing including leasing; superannuation plans; insurance; employee benefits; financial instruments and emerging issues in financial reporting.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- explain the institutional framework for the regulation of financial reporting in Australia
- apply accounting standards and the framework in the preparation and presentation of financial statements
- demonstrate advanced accounting knowledge in areas such as income tax, leasing, intangibles and financial instruments
- demonstrate an understanding of theories that explain accounting policy choice and usefulness of accounting information
- apply critical thinking and problem solving skills to individual and /or group activities dealing with advanced financial accounting.
Within semester assessment: 30%
Examination (3 hours): 70%
Two 1-hour lectures and one 1-hour tutorial per week