Berwick Second semester 2008 (Day)
Caulfield Second semester 2008 (Day)
Clayton Second semester 2008 (Day)
Gippsland Second semester 2008 (Day)
Gippsland Second semester 2008 (Off-campus)
Sunway Second semester 2008 (Day)
Singapore Second semester 2008 (Off-campus)
South Africa Second semester 2008 (Day)
This unit introduces students to fundamentals of distributed networked environment. It provides knowledge of internetworking standards and understanding of the networking architecture, technology and operation.
At the completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Discuss network architecture standards for open systems.
- Describe ISO reference and Internet models.
- Explain fundamentals and technologies of physical, data-link and network layers.
- Understand the functions and architectures of LAN and WAN.
- Analyse and design LAN architecture for organisational requirements.
- Adopt a problem solving approach.
- Accept the code of professional conduct and practice.
- Act in accordance with best practice, industry standards and professional ethics.
- Students will gain practical skills to analyse data communication networks.
- Cooperate effectively within small groups.
- Present their work in various forms.
one x 2hr lecture/week; one x 2hr tutorial/week
BUS2062, CSE2004, CSE2318, CSE3318, GCO3812, CPE1007, FIT2008, BUS3150, CSE9801