This section lists general fees and charges that apply to students at Monash University campuses in Australia.
11.1 Student Services and Amenities Fee
The Higher Education Legislation Amendment (Student Services and Amenities) Bill 2011 permits universities to charge a Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF). The fee will be charged to all students enrolled at Monash University as prescribed in this policy.
The University Council or its delegates sets the schedule of Student Services and Amenities Fees. The Student Services and Amenities Fee does not confer membership of any organisation of students, but is charged to provide for legislatively sanctioned items as listed in section 19-38 (4) of the Act (HESA 2003).
The maximum fee for any student within a calendar year will be the full-time rate in accordance with the published schedule of student services and amenities fees.
The Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) is:
- calculated and charged on the basis of mode and study load, and in accordance with the published schedule of student services and amenities fees where a:
- full-time rate is applicable to on-campus or multi-modal with a study load of at least 75% of one Equivalent Full Time Study Load (EFTSL) per calendar year.
- part-time rate (75% of the full-time rate) is applicable to on-campus or multi-modal with a study load of less than 75% of one Equivalent Full Time Study Load (EFTSL) per calendar year; or
- off-campus rate (50% of the full-time rate) is applicable to
- off-campus where all units in a calendar year are enrolled wholly in an off-campus mode (distance education); or
- off-site course locations where the mode of delivery is at a site further than one kilometre from the boundary of the campus at which the student is enrolled.
The off-site rate will be available where the responsible faculty provides a list to Student Finance of students that qualify under the above policy (list to be forwarded prior to fee assessment of the relevant teaching period/semester). The following locations are those that currently qualify:
- Monash Medical Centre and associated hospital placements
- Monash University City Law Chambers
- work experience in industry.
Note: Direct applications from students to Student Finance will not be accepted.
- calculated for all teaching periods in a calendar year (i.e. semester 1, 2, T1-58, AMB1, etc). Also see teaching periods and census dates
- payable for all enrolled students on the administrative dates determined by the University for each invoicing cycle. The administrative date is the due date for payment as shown on the fee statement. Payment extension is in accordance to the criteria set out in the Student Fees Policy - Fee Payment Extension section, and cannot be extended beyond the published SA-HELP incurred date of the invoicing cycle. Students are ineligible for a refund when changes to their enrolment occur after a unit’s census date
- applied to Monash students who undertake approved units of study at another institution (i.e. formal exchange programs, inter-campus exchange and incoming study abroad) for any units in which they are enrolled at Monash.
- Eligible students who are Australian citizens or permanent humanitarian visa holders resident in Australia can access a SA-HELP loan. Students, who wish to access SA-HELP to defer a Student Services and Amenities Fee need to complete, sign and return the SA-HELP form on or before the due date for payment on their fee statement and in accordance with the published schedule of student services and amenities fees.
- A student will only be required to apply for SA-HELP once for each course of study they are enrolled in at a provider. If a student changes courses or changes providers, the student will need to re-apply for SA-HELP.
Schedule of Student Services and Amenities Fees
Goods and Service Tax
The Australian Tax Office does not require Monash University to apply the Goods and Services Tax (GST) to the student services and amenities fee.
Conditions where the Student Services and Amenities Fee will be charged at zero dollars
The Student Services and Amenities Fee applies to all students enrolled at Monash campuses in Australia (ie. courses with an Australian campus location code), including those studying on a cross-institution basis with Monash as the host institution, except as described here:
- students study load (EFTSL) within a calendar year that is less than 0.125
- students undertaking cross-institution studies at Monash who have, for the same period, paid a Student Services and Amenities Fee at their home institution upon provision of documentary evidence of such payment from their home institution
- students undertaking joint degrees as part of formally established arrangements between Monash University and an overseas university/institution (eg. IITB PhD program)
- students undertaking studies through Open Universities Australia (OUA)
- student incoming at Monash as a host campus on Exchange or Study Abroad
- Monash students outgoing on Study Abroad
- students undertaking Diploma courses at Monash College.
11.2 Miscellaneous Fees
The Student and Community Services Division may charge the following fees:
11.2.1 Enrolment - Academic Record
One copy of the academic record (also known as a transcript or academic statement) is provided free at Graduation. Unofficial copies are available free from the web. Additional formal records are available on request upon payment of a fee.
11.2.2 Enrolment - Student letters
Applicable when students request short letters for use as:
- proof of qualification
- proof of enrolment
- proof of graduation
- date of graduation.
11.2.3 Enrolment - Late Enrolment Fine
Applicable when a student has not completed re-enrolment by due date.
11.2.4 Enrolment - Late Unit Change
No longer applicable.
11.2.5 Enrolment - Late Confirmation of Enrolment Dispute
Applicable when a student seeks to dispute their enrolment after the Census date and beyond the defined period to do so.
11.2.6 Enrolment - Variation to Enrolment outside the current semester
Students have a number of opportunities each semester to check and amend their enrolment: viz. fee statement, enrolment statement, Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN), results notice, and via the Web Enrolment System for extended periods of time. This fee only applies to students who request variation of enrolment for a prior semester.
11.2.7 Enrolment - Reinstatement of Enrolment after Invalidation
Applicable when a student who has been invalidated, due to outstanding fees, seeks to be reinstated.
11.2.8 Replacements - Identity Card/Parking Permit
All students receive a free ID card. A fee is applicable for replacing a lost card. Parking permits, are available upon payment of the relevant fee. A fee is applicable for replacing an existing parking permit.
11.2.9 Examinations - Interstate/Overseas Examination Charge
Exam facilities are provided for all students studying on campus in Australia. A fee is applicable when students studying at Australian campuses request to undertake their exams interstate or at an offshore location. Requests in this category are only approved where a student is required to sit a deferred or supplementary exam in the January deferred and supplementary exam period, or has their course in semester one, but is required to sit an exam in the August deferred and supplementary exam period.
11.2.10 Examinations - Customised Examination Charge
Monash Examination centres have been established throughout Australia and overseas. This charge only applies when Distance Education (DE) students choose not to attend an exam centre established by Monash - where that centre is less than 150km travel from home - and where the student requests that a special exam venue be established for them.
11.2.11 Graduation - Attendance
There is a fee associated with graduation at a ceremony, primarily to cover gown hire, catering and other associated costs. Graduation “in absentia” is free
11.2.12 Graduation - Late application to graduate
Applicable when a student has not applied to graduate by the prescribed closing date. Late applications will be considered only if received one month or more prior to the scheduled date of the ceremony, and if the University is able to accommodate the late application
11.2.13 Graduation - Testamur Replacement
Initial testamur is free. Fee is applicable for a replacement testamur.
11.2.14 Graduation - AHEGS replacement
Initial Australian Higher Education Graduation Statement (AHEGS) is free. Fee is applicable for a replacement.