History of the Clayton campus
Clayton, 20 kilometres south-east of Melbourne, is the original campus of Monash University. It was established in 1958 and first opened its doors to 363 students in 1961. The 100 hectares of open field was originally used for a variety of purposes including the Talbot Epileptic Colony, before being bought for the university. The early days of the campus saw fields of mud and the library housed in a disused Volkswagen factory. In just over 50 years, the campus has grown in both size and student population and is now the largest of Monash's eight campuses.
For more information, visit the Monash University Records website.