Course or campus transfer


You can apply for an internal transfer if you want to transfer:

  • from one Monash coursework degree to another, and/or
  • to a different Monash campus.

You can only transfer between the same course type (e.g. from one bachelor degree to another bachelor degree) and only if you haven't completed your course. If you are completing your current course and wish to enrol in another, you will need to apply as instructed in Course Finder.

Masters by research or doctoral degree students should contact their faculty or the Monash Institute of Graduate Research (MIGR) about transfers.


Transferring course or campus is part of a competitive selection process. This means that you will be competing with other students for a place in the course.

The minimum eligibility requirements for a course transfer are:

  • being a current Monash student (you must maintain your enrolment)
  • meeting the prerequisites for the new course. See the course entry in Course Finder
  • performing at an appropriate level in your current course
  • successful completion of at least 12 credit points of a Monash University course.

The actual requirements for transfer may be higher. These are set by the faculty managing the course, including the number of completed credit points required to be considered for a transfer. Check the faculty information below before applying for a transfer:

Credit for previous studies

If successful, you may be eligible for credit. Credit is awarded only if your previous studies are relevant to the new course.

How to apply for a transfer

Before submitting an application, you should consult with the faculty managing the course for advice on prerequisites, credit transfer, unit selection, course requirements and progression.

  1. Submit an internal course transfer application (pdf 76kb) to the faculty managing the course. Do this before completing your current course.
  2. Ensure you remain enrolled in your current course while waiting for the outcome of your application.

Engineering courses

To transfer to an Engineering course, use the Engineering online course transfer application.

Science courses

To transfer to a Science course from Monash University Malaysia follow the instructions for an internal course transfer from Monash Malaysia to Clayton campus.

When to apply

  • Semester one: 17 October (of the previous year).
  • Semester two: 12 June (check with the faculty that there is a mid-year intake).

Malaysia and South Africa students

Students applying to transfer to Australia from campuses in Malaysia and South Africa, may have different application closing dates. Check with the faculty you're applying to.

Outcomes and notification

The faculty will notify you of the outcome of your application.

If your application is successful, you will receive notification:

  • on how to accept the offer and enrol
  • of any approved credit transfer (if applicable)
  • that by accepting an offer of course transfer, you grant permission to be discontinued from your current course by the course managing faculty.


If you transfer campuses but remain in the same course, your fees will be charged at the continuing rate, relevant to the year you commenced the course.

Transferring into a different course (with or without changing campuses) means you are considered a new (commencing) student. Your fees will be charged at the commencing rate based on your new course start date. For fee amounts, see the course entry in Course Finder.

Government loans

If you are eligible for HECS, FEE or SA-HELP, you need to reapply to access these loan schemes when transferring courses.

Scholarship holders

If you're on a scholarship, you should first check with the Scholarships Unit whether a transfer will affect your eligibility.

International students

If you want to transfer to a campus in Australia, you may need to apply for a student visa. See visa requirements. International students on a student visa, must enrol in a full-time study load (24 credit points per semester). For more information, see study load.

When transferring your course, you will receive an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCOE) and an International Student Course Agreement (or an update if you have an existing agreement).

Related links