This is extra information for Arts students. You should also check the main credit for prior learning information.
Credit rules in Arts
When applying for credit, you must provide:
- an original or certified copy of your course transcript
- proof of completion (a statement on your transcript or your award certificate/diploma)
- unit descriptions showing what each unit was worth (in points and as a percentage of the course).
We only give credit for relevant study. This must be completed:
- at a relevant level (e.g. we do not give credit towards postgraduate courses for undergraduate-level study)
- at a relevant tertiary-level institution
- before starting your Monash course. Once enrolled at Monash, you need to apply for complementary study to get credit for units taken elsewhere.
Our units are worth 6 or 12 points, based on a full year of study worth 48 points. We only give credit in 6 or 12-point blocks.
You must complete at least a third of your course within the Faculty of Arts at Monash University.
We only give exemptions from core units if we believe your previous study is equivalent to those units.
We may give you specific year-level unit exemptions or let you start at a higher entry level.
The Department of Psychology will assess your previous psychology study. It must meet the accreditation requirements of the Australian Psychological Society for you to continue in psychology. If it does not, they will give you unspecified credit points.
We award credit for these units as unspecified credit points. If you want to be exempted from certain units, we will need to forward your application to the relevant faculty for approval..
Awarding credit in Arts
Accepting credit for extension studies affects your first-year enrolment. See enrolment advice with credit for extension studies.
If you have provided us with information about post-secondary study you've completed in Australia or overseas, we will award credit when we offer you a place.
The maximum credit we will award is:
- 24 points towards an undergraduate diploma
- 48 points towards a Bachelor of Letters (BLitt)
- 96 points towards any other bachelor's degree
- 60 points towards the Arts component of a double degree.
For your major, you must take at least 18 points in Arts at third-year-level at Monash.
We may award credit for units taken at fourth-year-level or equivalent. The maximum credit we will award is 50% (24 points). We will not give credit for the research component.
You must apply for credit at the time of entry. We will not give it retrospectively. The maximum credit we will award is 50%.
1.5 year (72-point) master's degree
You can get up to 36 points of credit for:
- honours – if your grade was at least H2B
- graduate diplomas – if you got a credit average
- extensive professional experience – for recognition of prior learning, you must provide a resume, 1000-word statement and two professional referees.