As Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Education), Professor Adam Shoemaker oversees:
- the quality, range and impact of the University's academic programs
- the Academic Staffing portfolio
- innovation in digital education and international learning
- Indigenous student and staff access and support
- University libraries.
Professor Shoemaker came to Monash to undertake the role of Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Education) in 2007.
Before joining Monash, Professor Shoemaker was Dean of the College of Arts and Social Sciences at the Australian National University (ANU). He was also the Foundation Director of the ANU Research School of Humanities. He has extensive higher education management experience, having previously been Pro Vice-Chancellor at Queensland University of Technology and Professor and Dean (Faculty of Arts) at ANU.
He has also been a Visiting Professor at the University of Toulouse II and the University of Antwerp.
Professor Shoemaker has a Bachelor of Arts with Honours from Queen's University (Kingston, Canada). He also has a doctorate from the ANU, and has been extensively published in the areas of:
- Indigenous Australian history
Professor Shoemaker is active in community engagement. He has held a variety of national and international appointments, most notably:
- Chair of the Brisbane Writers Festival
- President of the Association for Canadian Studies in Australia and New Zealand
- President of the Australasian Council of Deans of Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities
He is currently:
- Chair of the Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority
- Nominee Director, Open Universities Australia
- Office of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Education)
- Office of Pro Vice-Chancellor (Learning and Teaching)
- Office of Pro Vice-Chancellor (Social Inclusion)
- University Library
Executive Assistant to Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Education)
Monash University Clayton
Telephone: +61 3 9902 9853